Sunday, May 29, 2011

Book Review: The Happiness Hypothesis








I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know how to have a meaningful life that leads to happiness. Of course, this is a subject that has been approached by many great thinkers in the past, what the author did was go over the teachings of different cultures, and back it up with the results obtained using modern science.

I find that the text was well written, and useful for everyone, it's not a self-help book, but it could be used as one.

I was moved by his argument in favor of religion, even though the author himself is not religious, it explains that the appreciation of divinity is part of human nature, he recommends for everyone to understand both sides of the spectrum. It's true that I spent a lot of time in the conservative school of thought, but I am better informed with by the liberal point of view, in other words, I've read a lot about the individual rights, liberals are expert thinkers in the issues of victimization, equality, autonomy particularly when it comes to minorities and the oppressed. Conservatives, in the other hand, are experts thinkers about loyalty to a group, respect for authority and tradition and sacredness. The sweet spot lies in between.
Any society that lies too much in either direction will develop different problems.
So I've decided to jump in and study the tenets of conservative thinking, I want to understand what the smart guys in over in the right have to say, particularly when it comes to economic policy, so that means, that no, I will not be reading Palin's book.
Well, maybe I will. I can see that this is going to take a lot of work.


My favorite chapter was the one about Virtue. A good life is one where we seek a purpose, whether it's spiritual or secular in nature, I've always believed that's the way to go. By continuously seeking to be better we achieve the conditions necessary to live happily.

So happiness comes from both the inside and the outside, seeking personal excellence, having good relationships and being involved in something bigger than oneself does the trick.


Check it out for yourself, and no, I am not getting any money from the book author, I just really liked the book. :)


Link to book's site


That is all.

J.V.

No comments: