Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Currently Reading on GoodReads

 If you look at the GoodReads widget on this blog's right panel you'll see that I am currently reading four books. Am I reading them all at once? The short answer is, yes. But I have a system. 


The Daily Stoic (audible)



This audio book is broken down into 366 daily meditations, so I just listen to a 2 minute daily meditation first thing in the morning. I use it to reflect on the teachings of the Stoics. I like it because it's a practical philosophy for everyday people. I just started today, but this will be a daily habit for the next 365 days. 


The Staff's Engineer's Path (kindle)



This book describes what senior engineers (as opposed to managers) actually do, it's for those people who want to grow into more senior roles. 

I think it's more accurate to say that I'm studying this book and using it as a reference book, however, I am slowly working my way through this book in order to level up my engineering game. 


Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (kindle)



This is the book that I'm reading when I'm not studying the Staff Engineer's Path. I'm reading in short bursts. It's the ancient Roman Emperor's diary, where he was writing things down for himself only. In it we get a glimpse of the inner life of this man. These meditations are now a classic introduction to the teachings of Stocism. 

It's very accessible for such an old book. 


ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life (paperback)



This is a book I'm studying with pencil and note taking, I'm doing a chapter per day. This book is filled with practical advice for organizing your time, priorities and physical possessions when living with ADD. It's written in a very ADD-friendly format with lots of lists, outlines and text boxes. 

No comments: