The other day someone very dear to me asked me if I had any books about stoicism, so I went and got them their own copy of "How to be a Stoic" by Massimo Pigliucci, which is a pretty good introduction to the philosophy of stoicism.
My aim is to live my life according to the three stoic principles and the four cardinal stoic virtues, I don't always live up to my values, but I do try and I don't quit.
In any case, just wanted to explain how can a person live like a stoic?
You practice the three disciplines and the four virtues.
The Three Disciplines
The Discipline of Perception.
Control how you see events. Separate the facts from your judgement about those facts. I like to illustrate this with the Buddhist Parable of the Second Arrow.
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional. You cannot avoid feeling the pain of something that you did not desire, but you get to decide how you react to it. You separate the cold, objective facts from your judgement about it.
The Discipline of Action
Focus your energy only on what you can change. Act with justice, kindness, and public service. The past is past, cannot be changed, there is no point in living in the past. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow, worrying about something that hasn't happened yet is unnecessary suffering.
This doesn't mean don't learn anything from the past, or don't plan ahead for the future. It means that there is no point beating yourself up for something that's already in the past, and getting anxious about things that may or may not happen is a waste of mental energy.
The Discipline of Will (or Desire)
Accept fate with grace, master your inner desires and find peace with what happens outside your control.
When an unexpected obstacle disrupts your plans, you say to yourself "This is exactly what I needed to grow" Use the setback as an opportunity to practice, patience, resilience and creativity.
The Four Cardinal Stoic Virtues
Wisdom
Knowing what is good, what is bad, and what is indifferent. Focusing only on things you can control.
Courage
Facing fear, danger, and hardship with strength, enduring pain or difficult tasks without complaint. Standing up for what is right despite personal risk.
Justice
Treating all people fairly and with moral integrity. Working for the common good and helping your community. Act with kindness and refusing to harm others.
Temperance
Practicing self-control and moderation in all things. Mastering your desires and avoiding extremes. Keeping a balance between work, rest and pleasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment