Tuesday, May 23, 2023

My Review of "Stay True" by Hua Hsu on Goodreads

Stay TrueStay True by Hua Hsu
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is a memoir about a friendship. The author met Ken in college in the late 90's, less than 3 years into the friendship his friend was killed in a random car-jacking gone wrong. This is a less a story and more like the author writing therapeutic monologue processing what happened.

I liked that the book is honest and insightful. The author makes astute observations about American culture then (the 90's), about life as the son of immigrants from Taiwan, about race, being Asian and life in general.

I struggled to figure out what this book was about, like, I'd say it's a vibe, but I don't think that's what the author was going for. I think this is maybe a little more than an homage to a beautiful life lost in a absurd way in an uncaring universe and how the author dealt with it.

I enjoyed this book, there's nothing wrong with it per se, but it's not a "must-read" it's more like, "huh, ok" type of book.

View all my reviews

No comments: