Saturday, July 30, 2005

The latest news

Well, I finally finished my Research Paper on Linux Security, All I have left is the final, which is on August 10, I've been reading Ultimate Questions: Thinking about Philosophy by Nils Rauhut and The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton. The Ultimate questions is a very easy read, nothing too complex, it deals with some basic questions that Philosophers have been trying to answer for centuries. I liked the first chapter because it answered questions like: What is Philosophy? what is the relationship between philosophy and science, and the Main branches of Philosophy, The Methodology of Philosophers and How philosophers make arguments. The rest of the book is a list of questions that have been hard to answer. They are:

1. How do we know what we know?

2. The problem of Free Will

3. The Problem of Personal Identity

4. The Mind/Body problem

5. Does God Exist?

6. What ought We to Do?

This book left me with the desire to know more, I think everyone should do the same. I have been asking questions like those since I was little. But in those days Religion filled up all my unanswered questions,back then I believed it all. But now I am not so sure anymore, I don't like to believe in something without a proof, or without knowing how it works, I like to know the how's and the why's. That's why I like Computer Engineering. We deal with abstract objects and make them do work. If something goes wrong, there is always a way to find out why and how, it may not always be easy, but there is always an answer. Our universe is not like that. Sometimes the Universe seems like a design crafted by a Superior being with the Laws of Nature, other times it looks like this is a chaotic place and we are here by accident. I realize that Philosophy will not answer the big questions but I completely agree with Socrates when he said (according to Plato) that:


"The unexamined life is not worth living"

I am in this world to live it, explore it, and learn from it. There is so much to learn, so little time.

By the way, the other book, the Consolations, looks like a self-help book, I have not finished it yet, but I already have some books in my pending queue.

1. Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan
2.The Demons of Eden by Carl Sagan
3. The Nietzsche Reader, a compilation of his best works.



No comments: