Saturday, November 18, 2006

Authority



I was taught to follow authority at home. It was reinforced later in the military.

I learned to question authority at College. Many of my personal heroes are people that went against the crowd and against the authority figures of their day.

There is a time when it's ok to question authority, like when people abuse their power to benefit themselves and to harm others, or when the government is not acting in the best interest of the nation, when an elected official is incompetent or corrupt.

When police officers abuse their power, the citizens must put them in check, that type of abuse should not be tolerated.

But when a guy is trying to instigate a riot and gets tasered for acting up, it's hard for me to sympathize, especially when he should know better.

1 comment:

Loralee Choate said...

Probably not a surprise to anyone, but I second your opinion, Jose. I know there are assholes who daily abuse their authority and that sucks because it gives all cops bad names. My nephew is an LAPD cop and he is a good one. I think I'll email him and see if he heard about this one...