Thursday, February 09, 2023

Back to part-time teaching at UW

 This semester I started a job part-time as a teaching assistant at UW's Machine Learning Certificate program given by the PCE department. I've been doing that on and off since 2017 (wow, 5 years!) and it's lots of fun. I get to meet a lot of fascinating people, the students come from different academic background and industries there's of course your typical data scientist with the big tech companies, but there's a guy who works as a data scientist for a major league baseball team! there's a lady who studied enology (the science of wine, yes!) there's always some dude that studied physics and math, a healthy amount of students in the bio sciences as well as business analysts folks. All of us have one thing in common, we love stats. 

 I confess that I don't like to grade homework that much, that's like, the least enjoyable part of my job, but I love keeping up to date on this area. It really sucks that classes are Thursday nights because that means I'll miss Trivia night with the wife. I need to find another bar that does trivia a different day, can't just give up on that. 

Anyone interested in learning Machine Learning, there are tons of free courses out there. I really enjoy MIT's ML course but there is no substitute for having discussions with other students, Q&A with a teacher and getting feedback on course assignments. 

One of these days when I have time (lol) I'll write some posts explaining ML concepts, if I ever get to that, I'll put it in my other blog. Don't know when that's going to happen.  I have been swamped with my day job the past couple of weeks, I'm a bit worried about managing my time with this part time job, we'll see how that goes. 


-JV


No comments: