Wednesday, August 09, 2023

My Review of "The Candy House" by Jennifer Egan on Goodreads

The Candy HouseThe Candy House by Jennifer Egan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book might not be for everyone. Each chapter is written from a different character's point of view using different writing styles. The event's are not told in chronological order, this could be considered a sequel to "Visit from the Goon Squad" it is set in the same world with the same set of characters. Like my teenage daughter likes to say, this book is a "vibe"

I can't explain why I liked it, it was interesting to read the weird things the weird people do in this book. There are layers in there I'm sure you have to dig to find the good stuff, but there are themes about tech, social media and isolation. I do sense a tinge of "adults dealing with childhood" trauma.

I enjoyed reading this book, but don't read it expecting a story you can explain in less than two sentences. At some points it sort of felt like reading "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, but the light version. This is meant as a compliment.

-JV

View all my reviews

No comments: