Monday, January 30, 2023

My Review of "Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention - and How to Think Deeply Again

Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention- and How to Think Deeply AgainStolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention- and How to Think Deeply Again by Johann Hari
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I wanted to write a more through review because I think this book is IMPORTANT for the times, but I keep on putting it off, and at the end it's better to write an incomplete review right now than no review at all.

Anyway, this book is about a few things, attention and tech. The biggest take away here is that there is a well-funded war for your attention in silicon valley. The best minds in the world are coming up with ways to capture your attention for profit making us incapable of focusing for long periods of times. The creator of the infinite scroll feature says it himself.

I really enjoyed the chapter on cruel optimism. This link really explains how I feel about it better than I could say it myself https://tegowerk.eu/posts/cruel-optim...

Anyway, this book is one of the best books I've read in a while. If you found this blog post from a link on twitter or facebook, do yourself a favor and read this book.

I read this book while on vacation in Florida last November, but was too distracted to write a review on time :|

View all my reviews

No comments: