Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Gmail has been hurting lately



I recently switched to gmail the email service from google. I have heard all kinds of good things about it, overall it has lots of perks, I think it has better features than the account I've had for years, namely, hotmail. But these days it has been acting strangely, when trying to get to my account I get these "temporarily unavailable" messages.

Last friday before my Statistics midterm a fellow student was freaking out because he could not get his formula sheet for the test, he had saved it in his gmail account and could not log in to get it. That's scary, it could have happened to me.

I am glad I am not the only one noticing this. This guy has noticed it too. But that does not compare to this guy's story. Damn, sucks to be that dude.

I think that the problems have something to do with this story, apparently there is vulnerability in Gmail that was exposed a couple of weeks ago, it turns out that if the preview lines of an email has javascript in it, it will execute, this guy even shows you how to do it. So every script kiddie wannabe hacker has started messing with the server, I can speculate that google is bent over backwards trying to fix this problem, it is not hard to imagine some hackers being mad at Google for being evil, as in Microsoft evil. I am not saying they are, but that's just the word on the street, or, shall we say, the word on the net.

Ok people, that's all I have, be good to each other.

Love

J.V.

No comments: