Sunday, October 08, 2023

Cancun, the good, the bad and the meh

 Just got back from spending 5 days vacationing in Cancun. If you can go, go! It's nice. Highly recommend it. 


The good:

1. The beach, no question, white sands, blue water, warm water. Loved it. I spent as much time in the water as I could. 


2. Private tours. Chichen Itza ruins. We had an amazing guide, Nef (@guiacancunguide on IG) was friendly, knowledgable, bilingual and professional. He did an amazing job of answering all our questions, driving us everywhere and giving us tips for finding the best spots to see. 


Chichen Itza was amazing. It was incredible to see the ruins. I couldn't believe that these pyramids were just sitting there in someone's private farm for years until they were bought and restored. 


3. The fam. 

I liked that I got to spend time with the girls and the family, we met my wife's cousin with this family and we hung out and caught up. 

4. The resort

I was happy with the hotel, it was one of those all-inclusive resorts. Food was good, the staff was friendly, the building is starting to show its age but it was well-kept and clean. 

The Meh


1. Exchange rate favors the US but prices were not a lot cheaper. I mean, things like food and drink are still cheaper, but not by a lot. 

2. Taxis are pricey but buses are cheap. 

3. There's no uber. 


The Bad

1. Delta airlines. We've been faithful customers for a long time. They did us dirty this time. On the way back we had a one-hour layover in Salt Lake City. We had a checked-in bag so we had to go get our bags, clear customs, go through security and get to the gate all under one hour. The plane took off 20 minutes late out of Cancun, we raced to the baggage claim but didn't get our bags until 15 minutes before our flight was supposed to leave. Martha took one for the team and stayed back to get the checked bag while I went to the plane with the girls. I asked the person at the boarding gate if they could wait for my wife to clear customs and security, she was like "she's got 15 minutes" anyway long story short, they shut the door in her face, could not get in even though it was the airline's fault. Delta booked her to the next flight which thankfully was only two hours later but the whole thing felt foul. 

2. It was hot and humid, but that's part of going to the beach I guess. 

3. Only there for 5 days. I wish I had stayed longer. 



So that's all folks. Thanks for reading. 

-JV


No comments: