Sunday, October 08, 2023

My review of Poverty by America by Matthew Desmond on Goodreads

Poverty, by AmericaPoverty, by America by Matthew Desmond
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a fierce and concise report and how the world's wealthiest country has so many people living in poverty. The author makes the case that the system is this way on purpose. The people who have the power to end poverty don't do it because they benefit from keeping people poor. This book explains how our government helps people who don't need our help, neglects those who need help the most and sell the idea that there's nothing anyone can do about this problem.

I like that the author backs everything up with data, he concedes when his statement or point is debatable and seems like a good faith effort to make people decide to do something about the current situation. The style is direct and effective. The author voice is compelling, you can feel the passion he feels about the situation.

The thing I like the most is probably the weakest part of the book, the book calls for action, but he is honest about the fact that it's not going be pleasant and we, the people who benefit the most from the status quo are not going to like it. Yet he lays it out for you. I have always thought that poverty was an inevitable fact of the human condition, but the author makes the case that we are the way we are because we like it and want to keep it that way. I don't like that there's people suffering but I get it.

This book is important. Everyone should read it.

View all my reviews

No comments: