Sunday, October 08, 2023

My Review of Mastermind by Maria Konnikova on GoodReads

The Confidence Game: Why We Fall for It . . . Every TimeThe Confidence Game: Why We Fall for It . . . Every Time by Maria Konnikova
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A book report on all things Con Artists, the people who do the cons, the people who fall for it. The tactics, strategies and weaknesses con artists use to get people to give away money and possessions because they were fooled by a non-violent liar and thief.

I really wanted to like this book. I've always been fascinated by this subject. Everyone is vulnerable to scammers and con artists, even educated people and hard-core skeptical folk. Me and you can be fooled, it's not as hard as you think it is.

The problem with this book is that I couldn't not find a unifying thread or message other than "con artists" I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I read the author's other book Mastermind and really, really liked it. That book was organized as a journey to understanding how people get really good at something. This book was not like that. This book felt more like a loose collection of anecdotes about con artist. It's very informative and entertaining but it's not the author's best work.

View all my reviews

No comments: