Monday, October 30, 2023

My review of "Ludicrous: The Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors" by Edward Niedermeyer

Ludicrous: The Unvarnished Story of Tesla MotorsLudicrous: The Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors by Edward Niedermeyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This books covers the history of Tesla up to 2019, with an Afterword that includes the 2020 pandemic.

This is an honest attempt to write the story of a car company that went from 3 people in 2004 to a household name less than 2 decades later.

I liked that the author discloses his involvement with the company and makes it clear that he is not entirely outside of the events that occur in the book. The author is a blogger and he posted a story about Tesla making its customers sign non-disclousure-agreements (NDAs) in order to perform "goodwill repairs" of defective cars. This is a big no-no because it makes it really hard to report safety concerns if you are legally bound to silence. I am neither a Tesla fan or a Tesla hater, but I'm never, ever, ever going to buy a car that has a higher chance of killing me than the other cars in the market. That's just me though, maybe I'm not the target demographic for those cars.

The only issue with the book is that it needs to be updated to cover what has happened since 2020. The company is still around, but no new cars have come out (?)

Overall, very entertaining, insightful page-turner. I learned a lot about Electric Vehicles (EVs) in the process. The book debunked the myth of "Other Auto-makers are not investing in EVs" it turns out there are a lot of viable alternative to Tesla if you want a safe, tested and high-quality EV.

I don't think Tesla is going to die anytime soon, but it's overrated for sure.

View all my reviews

No comments: